Need a new weight-loss ally? Something that could help you not only lose the pounds but improve your general health and wellbeing.
Then head for the nearest lemon tree. That’s what Theresa Cheung, author of The Lemon Juice Diet, recommends. Having done detailed and extensive research, she believes that lemons and lemon juice is all you need to kickstart a new healthier and slimmer you.
Lemons have natural detoxifying powers which stimulates the digestive system in a healthy and effective way.
And a healthy digestive system is very important if you have any hope at all of losing weight.
So I thought I’d jump on in and give it a go.
The first step turned out to be the hardest. Having always started my day with a cup of coffee, suddenly having to change to a glass of lemon juice diluted with warm water instead left a bitter taste in my mouth. But then, what’s a little bitterness if it’s going to aid in the battle with the bulge.
Once you master the early morning lemon juice, following the rest of the seven principles of The Lemon Juice Diet looks like a piece of cake (oops! take that back. NO cake)
• Drink lemon juice with warm water every morning – this helps jump-start your digestive system.
• Eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.
• Keep your blood sugar levels balanced to avoid sugar cravings - that means eating little and often and using lemon in your cooking.
• Cut down on sugar-rich foods. The easiest way to do this is to swap refined foods like white bread, white rice and pasta for wholegrain alternatives.
• Avoid saturated fats and increase your consumption of good fats, like omega 3 and omega 6 which are found in nuts, seeds, oily fish and extra virgin olive oil.
• Eat more fresh whole foods, including beans, pulses and lentils. These contain plenty of fibre, which can help to stimulate your digestive system and slow down the conversion of carbs into glucose.
• Slow it down! It takes your brain 20 minutes to realise that you’re full. If you take your time eating you’re less likely to overeat and this in turn will help with your weight-loss mission.
The Lemon Juice Diet is a easy read with plenty of sound and sage advice (and recipes) for anyone looking to loss weight in a healthy and comfortable way. But even if you are not looking to lose weight, there is much in this book that you can use. There’s even a chapter on lemon cures for everything from acne to varicous veins.